Black Friday 2018

Thursday, August 25, 2005

How an Office Worker became a T-shirt Peddler Too

Once upon a time I started a new job. One thing that my new employer wanted was company t-shirts. We even had a meeting in which we talked about creating company merchandise. Post-meeting, a co-worker e-mailed around the link to PETA's cafepress shop as an example of what we might do.

That e-mail lit the light bulb in my head. If my employer could sell merchandise on-line with practically no upfront costs, why couldn't I? Since I couldn't come up with a reason not to do it, I started thinking about what would be on the shirts.

In the streets, I noticed people wore lots of location tees: Atlanta, Brooklyn, Harlem, Georgetown... Wait Georgetown? Not Georgetown University, just Georgetown, as in the neighborhood in Washington DC. So I thought, other DC neighborhoods should have t-shirts. And that's how I came up with t-shirts that feature the names of neighborhoods in my little hometown, Washington DC. Best of Washington DC T-shirts and Gifts was born.

My employer still hasn't figured out what it wants to put on its company t-shirts.

The end (of the beginning)

Please visit www.cafepress.com/bestofdc and buy a shirt.

No comments: